Thursday, February 7, 2013

Trailers Trash

When I first got into movies, my main attractions was just going to see teasers and trailers. Watching a countdown clock go down to zero and Pierce Brosnan popping on screen announcing himself as James Bond for the Goldeneye teaser trailer, my cheeks raising so high that they touch my eyeballs and my face red as a strawberry with enjoyment. Most times I would just want to see a movie just because of the trailers of the future movies coming out. Now, it seems like those days are over.

   Movie Trailers, today, are nothing more than a mega commercial trying to sell you multiple products. You rarely hear original trailer music in previews. I've heard Kanye West's Power in so many trailers. I'm sick of Jay Z soundtracks. The worst is when the music isn't even a decent match for the trailer, such as the Clash of the Titans trailer using The Bird and the Worm. When I watch a sword and sandal genre flick, rock music doesn't come into mind. It's like the marketing team is selling the music of these artist more than the movie itself. Also, can we stop with these clips in almost every action movie trailer where someones jumping off a roof and time slows while they're in mid air, which was most likely made famous by The Bourne Ultimatum.

   I guess it could be worse. Like with the 70's, when you were shown full scenes that went on for almost 10 minutes, such as in the Halloween trailer, where almost a full chase scene was shown. The trailer for Godfather used flash clips, and some were spoilers. However, they did have complete focus on what they were trying to sell. A lot of trailers today just go all over the place and many of them follow the same dull ass formula. Please just focus and sell your movie and not music from popular artist or throwing in clips that are not meant for trailer view.

No comments:

Post a Comment